For this final edit I did a re-shoot of the horror scene used for my test shots. After reviewing the second shoot I decided that I was more impressed with my test shots as the first set of shots had a nicer contrast and more atmospheric coloration (tungsten white balance creating a blue hue generating sympathy, coldness and makes the room seem darker than a warm hue would). The focus of the video was on volumetric lighting, the second shoot had nicer shots of volumetric lighting so I used these as pick ups replacing two shots set in the same area so that there continuity was the same (iso wouldn’t change half way through.) This meant that while i still had the better shots the volumetric lighting specific shots stand out more whilst fitting seamlessly into the sequence I was using.
In order to make the volumetric lighting more dramatic and vivid I replaced the head torch with a 45 lumen hand held torch and increased the amount of talcum powder this makes the room seem older and larger as the darkness is amplified by the intensity of the light beams creating the illusion of there being no edge to the room (in effect you hint that the room is eternal and so the audience has to rely on the previous shots and the size of the person in frame to guess how large the room really is so by using the larger side of the room to have the doll hanging against a perceptible backdrop the audience can assume that the same distance between the camera and wall is used for the volumetric shot.)
This film focused on volumetric lighting and in my research for this I looked at the history of art in particular the work of Caravaggio who is considered to be the first person to really use lighting to create depth. I used the idea of contrast from his work in order to make the room seem larger and to foreshadow that something bad is going to happen to my character (covered in shadows in the scene were the torch is giving off the most light.) since doing this research i have been seeing volumetric lighting being used everywhere from advertisements for orange juice to feature films and animations such as Tintin as well as series such as Daredevil and Lucifer.
When researching the making of volumetric light I already knew that a particular medium is needed but from the video copilot blog I learnt that to create the effect you have to trap the smoke (particles) in a confined area in order to prevent them escaping. If you don’t do this then you don’t get a long time in which you can film before the particles disperse. As I found that the haze machine didn’t create the effect that I was seeking I knew that I would be using talc which also meant that there was no way to confine the particular medium without fans which I didn’t have and so I was prepared to do quick shots in order to achieve the volumetric lighting effect without time for a long take. While studying the work of Caravaggio I saw how he used lighting to add depth and realism to a location and how it can emphasize a subjects motives i.e shadows create mystery and emphasize evil while well lit shows purity and emphasizes good motives.
What went well:
The coloration on the first and second set of shots match up meaning I was able to use the second set of shots as pickups pretty seamlessly. the first set of shots had perfect natural lighting which with the cameras iso settings and ‘tungsten’ white balance in order to create a sympathetic cold looking atmosphere as opposed to a warm and nonthreatening environment the likes of which would be seen if the white balance was set to ‘cloudy.’ The natural lighting in the first set of shots was ideal because it allowed for everything in the shot to be seen clearly while maintaining contrast (and with the correct settings background darkness.) The second shots didn’t have the same quality of lighting, but the volumetric lighting was more dramatic and as these shots had the same coloration, they made decent pickups in the edit.
The edit seemed to work really well and very easily as after watching the rushes I knew exactly how I wanted to cut it so it was just a case of putting the shots in order and trimming them down so that they fitted in the time limit and didn’t show the throwing of the talcum powder. the shot of entering the attic was the most awkward shot to cut as it had very few good points that would transition into he next shot. The tool used the most was the razor tool as it allowed me to quickly find the point at which I wanted the scene to be cut and then trim it. the method I had been using previously was to let the cursor turn into the red bracket then to drag it to the point I wanted which takes slightly longer but is a comfortable tool to use.
How to Improve:
To improve in the future use of volumetric lighting I would make it appear more natural by shooting a non horror sequence so that the ambient lighting is brighter (less contrast), but so that the volumetric lighting is still prominent enough to add depth and age. If I use this type of lighting again I would like to try it on a stationary object and without the lighting being the focus of the shot. to improve on the sequence I made again for shot types a crew would be helpful and a way to confine the particular medium so that I could try longer takes. lastly I would have experimented with gobos for a title.
For this project I feel that on the shoot I did I had success however my original plan was to shoot a few shorter sequences with the light being used to create different moods which I would like to have done, but I went of course as this was the first sequence I made and it fills the time slot we were given in the brief and so I ended up deciding to focus upon this sequence